So we played Apples to Apples tonight, and I came to the conclusion that Ninja - if played - would win every round, hands down. Seriously, what beats a ninja in anything? The only remote chance of ninja not winning everything, is if the judge denies the ninja out of spite.
On a more serious note, I recently read a post by a fellow blogger (she, however, is a blogette). It got me thinking about how I see, treat and think about other people. Her post brought me to realize how much my personal standards mean in my views of other people (something I already knew, but was reinforced). One example of this is spelling and/or grammar. I tend to be quite the stickler for the former more than the latter, but both none the less. However, my sticklerness goes without, rather than staying within. Now, there are times when I really am just trying to help people out (with spelling, for instance); but other times, my view of people can be e'er so slightly dinged due to their personal grammatical and lexiconical tastes and abilities. I suppose it will be something I'll have to work on (more so in other ways, the spelling bit is only a minor case, just an example).
In other news,
1 comment:
So are you saying that a ninja card would win even on the rounds with a negative connotation? :)
You are right though, that holding others to one's own high standards is not always the most uplifting. I definitely struggle with this too. I think part of it is being human and having difficulty relating to others and the way they think, but for me the root cause is pride. There's something about smashing another down that makes us feel a little bit better about ourselves- for a brief moment. I know that if I can trump someone and make myself look smart I feel pretty great until I realize how belittling I've been. I think Ephesians 4:29 sums it up pretty well. "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."
Zing!
Post a Comment