11.12.2005

Once, Twice, Three Times a Lady

Just to be sure that it is understood, I would like to point out that the whole fleece idea wasn't in the slightest my own (since my post probably alluded to the fact). It was all Mrs. H's idea and all credit is due her. Sorry for any misconstruery, I'll try to cite my references better in the future.

The field trip yesterday was lots of fun. At first it took a minute to get my rink-legs, but eventually I got confident and balanced and had fun with it. It turns out Andy (our boss) is a really good skater, so he was fun to be out there with. I was even doing cross-overs and whatnots (it's easy to balance on quads :) and being all fast-like. We counselors played some tag around the rink (it only got bad once, but nobody was hurt...physically...) which was fun.
One of the women there (not ours) requested an adult skate (so many kids, being that there was no school) for one song. I was hoping for something niiiice and long, like Thriller, Mr. Roboto, something like that. They at least played a decent length song. I was busy skating as hard as I could to notice how long it was. There's a lined area around the outside of the rink for the slow lane, but since there were no kids, I used it as the fast lane! It was wonderful! Along one of the long edges of the rink- the side where you can get in- all the kids were lined up on the wall. Every time I went around (skating as fast as I could), I would put out my hand and high-five them all and they loved it (oh it was fun!). By the end of it, they wouldn't let me get by without doing it.
That adventure reminded me of Chariots of Fire and Eric saying how he feels God's pleasure when he runs. You know, when you do something and do it well, and it just feels good. Well, I felt like I was skating well. There were lots of tricks and things I didn't know how to do, but I skated well.
This all made me wonder what it is that I can do for God's glory. I wish it were roller skating or ice skating, but it's not (far as I know...). But I want to find that one thing that I can do really well; that will entertain the masses, that will win hearts, that will put them on my side. And then I will say to them "Praise God! I skate for His glory! " O, if only! I so long for such a purpose in life. To know that God made me fast so that I could run for Him (or skate for Him, or anything for Him!). Perhaps I will find such a purpose in time, or perhaps God has something else in place for me.
For now, only time will tell...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chariots of Fire...remind Lydia to watch that movie if she hasn't watched it already!

Bruce, Son of Leod said...

We watched it the Friday after she got back, actually :). That was my first time seeing it (she dozed the last 20-30m).

Bruce, Son of Leod said...

Oh... :D
Too bad, you get it anyway :).