12.12.2005

My Amazing 216nd Post!

I'm officially joining the club. Mostly because I have something to say after reading John 1:1-5 this morning. I suggest you read the posts in order of appearance, so as to be entirely in the loop :).
The original post on this topic is found at Miss Lydia's blog, the first follow-up post at Meg's blog, the second follow-up at Erin's blog and the third follow-up post right here, at The one and only Bucket™.
As I read these few verses in John, the one that caught my eye the most was verse 5
"The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has nto understood it."
Are we called to follow Jesus's footsteps? To try and live up to his example of a sinless life? So then, can it not be said that we, just as Jesus the Word shone in the darkness, should shine now in the darkness of the world? It seems to me (and please correct me if you feel this thought is ill-conceived) that lifestyle evangelism is almost the opposite. Yes, it is our light shining in the darkness, but as we do, the people who are still in the dark might be pleased with our example. They may say "oh, so and so is never mad at work, how nice" or "Mr. Anonymous never sins." But, if they are so understanding of how we are acting, isn't there something missing?
Luke 6:33 says
"And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' do that."
I think that in a similar way, lifestyle evangelism can't just be nice or happy or forgiving. Even sinners can be nice. Even sinners can be happy. Even sinners can be forgiving. Maybe it's like Megan says, and the light that we shine needs to be our faults, our sins, our failures. But also the repentance that those bring about.

2 Cor 12:10
"That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

No comments: